Neat dark-green foliage throughout the year and clusters of ivory-white stamens in winter on this highly fragrant small shrub - excellent in containers near doorways
- Position: partial to deep shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing to average
- Flowering period: December to March
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: the flowers are followed by spherical, glossy, black berries
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Sweetly scented, pure white flowers from December to March and lustrous, dark green leaves. This wonderful, winter-flowering, dense, evergreen shrub is perfect for a shady border or woodland garden. To fully appreciate the fabulous, vanilla-like fragrance plant in moist, well-drained soil close to an entrance or path. Copes well with dry shade and urban-pollution.
- Garden care: In late winter or early spring lightly trim or prune back shoots that spoil the plant's symmetry. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost around the base of the plant.
A sanctuary of peace and tranquillity with an overwhelming sense of calm, a woodland garden is an ideal place to get away from it all with natural shade and privacy. Based on...Read full article