lily flowered tulip bulbs
A picture of suave elgance with tapering flowers in subtle violet-mauve and each petal is margined in a softly drawn white edge.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May
- Flower colour: violet, edged with white
- Other features: excellent cut-flowers
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 12/14
A gorgeous lily-flowered tulip with soft violet-mauve flowers that have well-defined white margins and elegantly pointed petals. It is a good, weather-resistant, border tulip which usually comes back reliably year after year without lifting. The flowers are showy and long-lasting and look very similar to the 'Star Gazer' lily when fully open. Such a great performer the RHS have not only awarded it the coveted Award of Garden Merit, but also selected it in their list of top 10 tulips. Not bad at all!
- Garden care:In September to December plant bulbs 15-20cm deep and 10-15cm apart in fertile, well-drained soil. Alternatively, allow 7-9 bulbs per 30cm sq. After flowering dead-head and apply a balanced liquid fertiliser each week for the first month. Once the foliage has died down naturally lift the bulbs and store in a cool greenhouse.
- Harmful if eaten/may cause skin allergy
Create an ‘outside room’ that overcomes the three challenges of shade, exposure and lack of space using uplifting, shade-tolerant shrubs, perennials and bulbs. A sense of seclusion can be achieved with decorative screens and trellis covered in deciduous, fragrant...Read full article
Symptoms Tips of emerging leaves appear brown and scorched, and often shrivel and rot. The foliage soon becomes covered in a grey fungus. Brown spots appear on the leaves and flowers, which may also rot. Cause Masses of grey fungal spores, which are...Read full article
Spring bulbs, such as daffodils and hyacinths, can be planted whenever the soil conditions allow. As a rough guide, cover them with about twice as much soil as the bulb is deep: so that a 5cm (2in) deep bulb would need a 15cm...Read full article