common white jasmine
Particularly good for sheltered sunny gardens and patios, scrambling through trees or on sheltered roof terraces (with shelter from winds)
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
A popular, sweetly scented climber smothered in clusters of highly fragrant white flowers from June to August and pretty, fine foliage. This versatile, deciduous climber appreciates a sheltered, sunny, well-drained site, and can cope with dry conditions. Since it spreads quickly in all directions, it's ideal for covering a large south or west-facing wall or an unsightly garden building. In small gardens, it is best planted in a pot and trained up a trellis or wall.
- Garden care: After flowering remove old and over-crowded shoots. Prune hard in autumn to keep it within bounds, but be warned that flowering will be retarded the following year.
As summer turns to autumn, thoughts turn to tidying the garden after the exuberance of summer and it is now an ideal time to prune many late-summer-flowering shrubs to keep them vigorous and flowering well. It’s also not too late to complete the pruning jRead full article
The traditional cottage garden was an intensive, yet carefree mixture of fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers all crowded into a tiny space. Today, this informal charm can be recreated using modern varieties that largely take care of themselves around anRead full article